The legacy of Fallston: The birthplace of Industry in Beaver County
Year of the borough's incorporation
An overview of Fallston history
Fallston takes its name from a waterfall in the Beaver River. It lies on the west side of the Beaver River immediately opposite New Brighton, Pennsylvania and about a mile below Beaver Falls.
The narrow space between the hills on either side and the Beaver River was dammed at the lower falls; the water power allowed Fallston to achieve great importance as a manufacturing center.
The Harris's Pittsburgh Business Directory for the year 1837 states "This place and the surrounding neighborhood, bids fair to be extensively increased, in consequence of the immense mineral and water advantages which it possesses."
The borough of Fallston, the largest manufacturing center of its time in Beaver County, was incorporated by an Act of the Assembly in 1829. A post office at Fallston was established June 25, 1829.
On August 5, 1835, the Fallston and Brighton Gazette newspaper started publication in Fallston, one of the earliest newspapers in the county. It was not able to sustain itself, and ceased publication in November 1836.
The Beaver Falls Union and Beaver County Advocate was the Gazette's successor, starting publication in January 1838; when it published its last on March 2, 1839, the Western Argus, which started publication in 1818 elsewhere in Beaver County, attempted and was mainly successful in taking over the Advocate's readership.
It continued publication for more than 86 years (with various changes in name and management over the years).
We are on the map
90 Beaver Street
Fallston, PA 15066